Thinking about what to get friends & family for Christmas? If I were them, I’d say…books! (In addition to anything Michael Kors, an all-expense paid trip to Santorini, Greece, and pink louboutins of course. But hey that’s just me.)
In all reality though, books are a fantastic way of saying I know you, I see you, I’ve heard you share what you need, I know where you’re trying to go, and I support you.
So below I’m listing 9 book ideas. Seven which I’ve read, two I’ve just purchased and can’t wait to, and all which I’ve selected to support my very serious intention to live my life and purpose out to the absolute fullest all while blasting through any and all internal blocks that may get in my way.
No, this is not a sponsored ad. This is just love. Sheer love. Because part of the reason I am where I am today is because of the many brilliant, tear-jerking, how-to, you’re-going-to-be-ok, go-Peace-go book pages I’ve read in my day. Books are my secret weapon and I wanted to share that secret with you this Christmas. So here we go! In no particular order…
9 Books You Can Get Loved Ones For Christmas
1. Purpose Awakening by Toure Roberts. The breakout book of international speaker Touré Roberts is about that transformational moment when you are awakened to the purpose of your life. Your life began with a brilliant thought in God’s mind. Your purpose, therefore, is the awakening to that thought. In this groundbreaking book, Touré introduces a new way to perceive the meaning of purpose. As he says:”You don’t find purpose; purpose finds you.” In fact, purpose conceived you; it was the catalyst for your birth.
2. The Gifts of Imperfection by Brene Brown. Brené Brown, a leading expert on shame, authenticity, and belonging, shares ten guideposts on the power of Wholehearted living—a way of engaging with the world from a place of worthiness….”This important book is about the lifelong journey from ‘What will people think?’ to ‘I am enough.’ Brown’s unique ability to blend original research with honest storytelling makes reading The Gifts of Imperfection like having a long, uplifting conversation with a very wise friend who offers compassion, wisdom, and great advice.”
3. Why Not Me? by Mindy Kaling. From the creator and star of The Mindy Project comes a collection of essays that are as hilarious and insightful as they are deeply personal. In Why Not Me?, Kaling shares her ongoing journey to find contentment and excitement in her adult life, whether it’s falling in love at work, seeking new friendships in lonely places, attempting to be the first person in history to lose weight without any behavior modification whatsoever, or most important, believing that you have a place in Hollywood when you’re constantly reminded that no one looks like you.
4. Colliding With Destiny by Sarah Jakes Roberts. The story of Ruth is a journey of transformation. By allowing God to transform her circumstances, Ruth went from a widow who would be excluded from society to a wife with a secure and protected future, a future that ultimately paved the way for the birth of King David! Her story is full of collision–loss, heartache, poverty, even shame–but she never let her past define her. Instead, the most painful time of her life became her most pivotal, propelling her to a destiny she never imagined. Perhaps you have a past you’re struggling to overcome. If disappointments, whether a result of your own choices or the actions of others, have kept you from being your true self, this book is for you. Follow Ruth’s life and discover the hope available to each of us. Your yesterday does not have to dictate your tomorrow.
5. Produced by Faith by Devon Franklin. DeVon Franklin, vice president of production for Columbia Pictures, shares how being bold about his Christian faith while being driven and ambitious has actually worked in his favor to help him excel in a high-profile, fast-paced, competitive industry…Produced by Faith parallels each step of the Hollywood filmmaking process with the faith-making process God uses to turn your career into a success. You will discover that it is possible to be both wildly successful and completely committed to God—and that you will be even more successful when you place your faith at the center of your career…In this informative, inspiring book, DeVon reveals the secrets to maintaining your faith while advancing in your career.
6. Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers. “California’s gold country, 1850. A time when men sold their souls for a bag of gold and women sold their bodies for a place to sleep. Angel expects nothing from men but betrayal. Sold into prostitution as a child, she survives by keeping her hatred alive. And what she hates most are the men who use her, leaving her empty and dead inside. Then she meets Michael Hosea, a man who seeks his Father’s heart in everything. Michael obeys God’s call to marry Angel and to love her unconditionally. A powerful retelling of the story of Gomer and Hosea, Redeeming Love is a life-changing story of God’s unconditional, redemptive, all-consuming love.”
7. If You Want To Walk On Water, You’ve Got To Get Out Of The Boat by John Ortberg. Deep within you lies the same faith and longing that sent Peter walking across the wind-swept Sea of Galilee toward Jesus. In what ways is the Lord telling you, as he did Peter, “Come”? John Ortberg invites you to consider the incredible potential that awaits you outside your comfort zone. Out on the risky waters of faith, Jesus is waiting to meet you in ways that will change you forever, deepening your character and your trust in God. The experience is terrifying. It’s thrilling beyond belief. It’s everything you’d expect of someone worthy to be called Lord.
8. 13 Things Mentally Strong People Don’t Do by Amy Morin. Expanding on her viral post that has become an international phenomenon, a psychotherapist offers simple yet effective solutions for increasing mental strength and finding happiness and success in life. As a licensed clinical social worker, college psychology instructor, and psychotherapist, Amy Morin has seen countless people choose to succeed despite facing enormous challenges. Morin’s post focused on the concept of mental strength, how mentally strong people avoid negative behaviors—feeling sorry for themselves, resenting other people’s success, and dwelling on the past. Instead, they focus on the positive to help them overcome challenges and become their best.
9. Beautifully Broken by Kimberly Jones-Ponthier. This book will give you not only biblical truths of deliverance but also real life scenarios and practical applications that will forever change your future relationships. It is a love story about a broken girl and a holy God. Kimberly shows us that God really does restore. Beautifully Broken is where God does his best work. You will learn that your pain was not just about you but many who will be rescued as a result of your survival. Kimberly will show you how to turn your pain into purpose, your mess into your message, and how to get your healing amid the hell. The journey is not comfortable, but it definitely is worth every ounce of pain and discomfort, which will lead you to your purpose.
Oh and one more thing.
Free Book Giveaway!
I’m buying one of these books for one of you! If you’re really serious about taking the next major step in your life, there are two things I want you to do:
1. Join my email list and get this free checklist that will help you start putting together a plan to launch strong this new year
2. Have the book you want in mind because if you win this random drawing, I’ll be asking you!
Giveaway will close Wednesday, December 16th, at 12 noon PST. Winner will be announced (here on this post and I’ll also email you) on Thursday, December 17th, 9am PST. Book gift will be shipped the following week. How does that sound?
What are you reading? Have any other cool book ideas to share? Share the love below!
Wishing you more grit & and even more grace,
UPDATE (as of 12/17/15, 9am, PST): The winner of the book giveaway is Maribel! Congrats Maribel!! You’ll be receiving a couple emails shortly. Thanks to all who entered!